Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Renaissance in 28mm

It has been my understanding for some time that the figures made for GW's Warhammer Fantasy Empire army are very similar to early Renaissance historically.  Other than the obvious fantasy elements, the regular troops and cavalry mirror the kind of troops seen in the late 1400's and early 1500s in the war in Italy.  Since I seem to have quite a few figures from my old Warhammer days, I decided to put them together and play a modified version of WHFB.

Above, the initial set up.
 I added rules for skirmishers, dense formation pikes, modified the weapon ranges and charge distances.  The skirmishing was particularly interesting as there turned out to be quite a bit of "petite guerre" going on.
 Below, pike and accompanying Shotte.
 Bowmen and skirmishing arquebus.
Below, skirmishers and arquebus try to get advantage in a field of crops.

It seemed to go well, of course the figures look very nice.  I have glued small magnets to the bottom of the usual GW bases and cut sheet metal trays or strips to stick them on.
A few days after the battle, I got my hands on a copy of Warlord Games Pike & Shotte rules.  I like them and I think they may come across as similar yet simpler.  There is no figure removal in P&S which is appealing.  More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment